October 23, 2020
In this bonus episode, Wendy speaks with psychologist and contemplative researcher Adam Hanley. Adam studies mindfulness-based interventions for addiction and pain, seeking to understand how they work, and how they can best be applied in these populations. In this conversation they discuss:
- how he became a contemplative scientist;
- automaticity, habits, and addiction;
- his research showing how mindfulness may help us de-automatize our thought processes, and stay more in the present;
- self-transcendence and how he’s beginning to study it;
- and the importance of understanding the nature of self, and moving beyond egocentric views, as we seek to build a healthier society.